[RNLD] Word request

Rozenn Milin rozenn.milin at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jun 12 22:26:11 UTC 2013

Hello everybody,

A friend of mine, in France, lost one of his children a few years ago.

He then noticed that in most languages we know, there are words to name a person who lost their wife or husband (widow in English), and a child who lost his parents (orphan), but there is no word to name a person who lost their child...

This appeared unfortunate to him and he proceeded to try to convince the French Academy to create such a word. The Academy is OK with the idea, but they first asked him whether such a word exists in other languages.

So I thought I would send an email to the RNLD list, since it reaches a bunch of linguists who have studied a whole lot of languages... If any of you happens to have heard of such a word in any language, would you please get back to me ? And if you haven't, please, send the word out !

Thanks !

Rozenn