[RNLD] basic audio recording gear

John Rickford rickford at STANFORD.EDU
Thu Mar 28 01:15:25 UTC 2013

I'm familiar only with the Zoom H2, which is a terrific machine, but slightly above your budget.  However, I suspect
that the Zoom H1 will be superior to the Olympus if only because it records in .wav, and would be suitable for acoustic
analysis, which I don't think the Olympus offers.  Moreover, the Zoom H2n, selling on amazon.com now for $179.00,
would be even better.  A couple years ago, I attended an NWAV workshop on recording quality and methods, and the expert
on hand spoke very highly about the Zoom machines, and a number of us have used them very successfully since.