[RNLD] importing/exporting between ELAN and FLEX

Beth Bryson Beth_Bryson at SIL.ORG
Wed Sep 11 12:25:13 UTC 2013

Thanks, Kate, for sharing your experience!

Brighde, I have a feeling that some of the issues you are having have to do with the settings for the writing systems.  Look carefully at what you have set as your vernacular languages as compared to analysis languages.  In FLEx, it will only do analysis on vernacular languages, and in a single text, there is a single writing system that is the "baseline" writing system, and it works best to analyze that.

From your description, it sounds like both Kriol and English should be analysis languages (and you wouldn't try to parse those).  It's the other language that should be the vernacular.

If you want to write off-list, it's possible that I or someone else on the FieldWorks development team could help you work out the writing system settings.  And the FLEx google group is also another good place to get input like that.

And everyone is right that how you set up the tiers in ELAN is crucial to this working--the interchange between the programs does make certain assumptions about that.  So it is very helpful to have Kate's description of her successful experience.

Beth Bryson