[RNLD] Educational resource for the Penan- Fundraising Launch of Children's Book

Blake Paul Kendall blakekendall at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 9 05:49:21 UTC 2014

Dear friends and Colleagues,

My name is Blake Paul Kendall and I am an Artist, Storyteller & Explorer
currently based in Sydney. I work in the field of language and cultural
preservation of endangered cultures.
Though I approach the field of language preservation through story, I wanted
to share this with the community!
Last year I had the honor of spending time in the Jungles of Borneo with
Penan communities. (The Penan are the indigenous people of Sarawak,
Malaysia)
 All schooling for the Penan is in Malay and English leaving little room for
the next generation to continue to learn language their own language.
This inspired me and with members from the community we workshopped and
wrote a children's book, that I went onto illustrate. This will be one of
the first educational resources in language for these people. It¹s the story
of 5 children as they are led on a journey by their grandparents, and embark
on the ritual of making sago. This book is one small step in allowing for
the Penan language and culture to be taught to the next generation.
Up till now I have funded this project myself, in both the fieldwork in
Borneo and the illustrations in Australia. However tomorrow, I will be
starting a Crowd Funding Campaign (fundraiser on Pozible) to raise the money
needed for the printing and distribution of the books for every Penan child.
All members of the RNLD community, are invited to attend the Launch Campaign
of the event- tomorrow evening in Sydney. Attached is the official
invitation with details ( it is an Exhibition and Auction of art to raise
money for the campaign).
If anyone is available to come, it would be an honour to share this evening
with members of the community.
To discuss the project, or for further information, please don't hesitate to
contact me.
(Note: I will also send through the Pozible link to be able to look at the
project in the coming days).
Cheers,

Blake-Paul Kendall- Storyteller, Artist & Explorer
TABLETOP STUDIO COLLECTIVE
+61 416 954 859
blakekendall at hotmail.com
ABN: 42 897 754 205