[RNLD] re: Change requests for ISO 639-3 (Language codes)

Stephen Morey S.Morey at LATROBE.EDU.AU
Tue Aug 5 05:13:31 UTC 2014

Dear All,

I am interested to know of any experiences that people have had - positive or negative - with the process of change requests to the ISO 639-3 language codes.

Changes to ISO 639-3 codes are handled by the registration authority SIL International. Since SIL International took over as registration authority for ISO 639-3, a large number of requests for changes to ISO 639-3 have been accepted by SIL International, and incorporated into subsequent editions of The Ethnologue. Some other requests for changes have been denied or postponed, apparently for a variety of reasons.

Does anyone have experience of requests being accepted or being refused? Have there been any decisions made which you felt were problematic in some way? I'm interested in any feedback on this.

Stephen

Stephen Morey
Australian Research Council Future Fellow
Centre for Research on Language Diversity
La Trobe University
Website: http://www.latrobe.edu.au/humanities/about/staff/profile?uname=SMorey<http://www.latrobe.edu.au/rclt/StaffPages/morey.htm>

Language data website: http://sealang.net/assam
Dictionary websites: http://sealang.net/ahom;  http://sealang.net/singpho; http://sealang.net/phake