[RNLD] Metadata for non-XML users

Simon Musgrave simon.musgrave at MONASH.EDU
Mon Aug 25 23:09:31 UTC 2014

Hi Amanda and rnlders,

I have experimented with using Omeka <http://omeka.org/>to create metadata.
This is intended as a digital library management package, but it is
possible to use the web version to create metadata records for items. The
default format is Dublin Core, but this can be changed. The web interface
is friendly and export works fine for me (sample below). The disadvantage
here is that you have to start from scratch with every record; i.e. you
cannot use an existing record as the basis for another one, something which
I find myself wanting to do all the time (as you can see in the sample)!

Best, Simon

<rdf:RDF>
<rdf:Description rdf:about="http://nunggubuyu.omeka.net/admin/items/show/2">
<dc:title>Nunggubuyu dictionary pp1-19</dc:title>
<dc:subject>Nunggubuyu language</dc:subject>
<dc:description>Scan of pages 1 to 19 of Heath, Jeffrey. Nunggubuyu
dictionary. No. 36. Canberra: Australian Institute of Aboriginal Studies,
1982.</dc:description>
<dc:source>Heath, Jeffrey. Nunggubuyu dictionary. No. 36. Canberra:
Australian Institute of Aboriginal Studies, 1982.</dc:source>
<dc:publisher>Simon Musgrave</dc:publisher>
<dc:date>2014-08-17</dc:date>
<dc:contributor>Jeffrey Heath</dc:contributor
><dc:rights>Copyright Jeffrey Heath</dc:rights>
<dc:format>pdf file, 1MB</dc:format>
<dc:language>Metalanguage: eng
Object language: nuy</dc:language>
<dc:type>[part of] dictionary</dc:type>
<dc:identifier>nunggubuyu/dictionary/pages-1-19-pdf</dc:identifier>
<dc:coverage>Nunggubuyu (Wubuy) language</dc:coverage>
</rdf:Description>
<rdf:Description rdf:about="http://nunggubuyu.omeka.net/admin/items/show/1">
<dc:title>Heath 1984 Chapter 1 - OCR</dc:title>
<dc:subject>Nunggubuyu grammatical description</dc:subject>
<dc:description>Output of OCR for Chapter 1 of Heath 1984</dc:description>
<dc:creator>Nicholas Thieberger</dc:creator>
<dc:source>Heath, Jeffrey. 1984. A Functional Grammar of Nunggubuyu.
Canberra: AIATSIS</dc:source>
<dc:publisher>Simon Musgrave</dc:publisher>
<dc:date>2014-08-07</dc:date>
<dc:rights>Source copyright J.Heath 1984</dc:rights>
<dc:relation>Heath, Jeffrey. 1984. A Functional Grammar of Nunggubuyu.
Canberra: AIATSIS</dc:relation>
<dc:format>Microsoft Word 97-2003 document</dc:format>
<dc:language>eng</dc:language>
<dc:type>Microsoft Word 97-2003 document (83.5kb)</dc:type>
<dc:identifier>nunggubuyu/grammar/chapter-1-ocr</dc:identifier>
</rdf:Description></rdf:RDF>

--
Simon Musgrave
Lecturer

Simon.Musgrave at monash.edu
+61 (0)3 9905 8234+61 (0)3 9905 8234 (phone)
+61 (0)3 9905-5437 (fax)
Official page:
http://profiles.arts.monash.edu.au/simon-musgrave/
<http://www.arts.monash.edu.au/linguistics/staff/smusgrave.php>