[RNLD] Language Help for the NCE

Margaret C Sharpe msharpe3 at UNE.EDU.AU
Fri Jan 10 05:52:48 UTC 2014

Dear Sid, This is a curly one to work on. I am prepared to be corrected by
some other linguists, but abstract words are somewhat rare in languages of
fisher-hunter-gatherer communities. The examples you have found illustrate
this. I¹ve wrestled with this for  people in the Lismroe NSW area trying to
choose a name for a similar local organisation. It comes down to choosing a
suitable phrase about teaching or learning  (verbs or processes). You could
choose a phrase like ŒDon¹t bash/hurt women and children¹, or Œwe want to
stop people hurting women and children¹. But you can imagine this is rather
long, whatever langauge you choose.
A possible idea to explore would be an Aboriginal English phrase or a Kriol
phrase. The first would cover much of Australia and if carefully chosen
would fit in the various variations of Aboriginal English enough for most to
understand. With a little tweeking a vrief phrase in Kriol would also be
comprehensible to many Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal people.
Your words pinarri and binarri are (as you¹d probably know or guess) just
the variant spellings for the same word ( pronounced much the same) in
different Western Desert (and closely related languages) in the west of
Australia. Very few Australian languages make a contrast between p and b, or
t and d, etc.
Regards,
Margaret Sharpe