[RNLD] Language Help for the NCE

arabana at INTERNODE.ON.NET arabana at INTERNODE.ON.NET
Fri Jan 10 12:15:53 UTC 2014

Hi
From the previous suggestion, the transitive action in
Pitjantjatjara, ATUNYMANANYI, _to mind, look after, care for,
protect,_ would fit.
It applies for example to people, country, money and a range of things
that might be/need protecting/caring for/keeping safe.
Income management is MANI ATUNYMANKUNYTJA, child protection is TJITJI
ATUNYMANKUNYTJA, and so on.
TJITJI (MUNU) MINYMA ATUNYMANKUNYTJA = caring for kids and
women/protecting kids and women/keeping kids and women safe, etc
These kinds of terms abound in Austtralian languages, centred as they
are around kinship and responsibilities and the world of challenges
out there, waiting in creation and current secular contexts.
Cheers

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Logan"
To:"Maïa Ponsonnet" , "Sid De"
Cc:"r-n-l-d at lists.unimelb.edu.au"
Sent:Fri, 10 Jan 2014 10:11:37 +0000
Subject:RE: [RNLD] Language Help for the NCE

  Hi All

 I have no experience at all with Australian languages. However,
taking into account what Margaret says, maybe a verb form with a
positive meaning like 'care for', 'nuture' or 'protect' would work, or
a phrase based around a similar verb?

 Best

   Stephen Logan   PhD Candidate
   ELDTA Research Group   University of Newcastle, Australia  Ph: +61
(0) 449155335

-------------------------
 FROM: Maïa Ponsonnet
SENT: Friday, 10 January 2014 5:56 PM
TO: Sid De
CC: r-n-l-d at lists.unimelb.edu.au
SUBJECT: RE: [RNLD] Language Help for the NCE     Hi,  Regarding
words for change and transformation.  Having worked on linguistic
descriptions of knowledge and emotions in the Dalabon language
(south-western Arnhem Land), I have observed that change has poor
semantic associations such as tantrum and being capricious, arguments
and breaking off emotionally from relatives. It may not be the same in
other Austrlaian languages though... Cheers,  Maïa