[RNLD] RNLD 10 Year Anniversary

Felicity Houwen fhouwen at RNLD.ORG
Wed Jul 16 04:25:31 UTC 2014

Dear RNLDers,

28 July 2014 marks the 10 year anniversary of the Resource Network for
Linguistic Diversity. On that day in 2004, Margaret Florey and Nick
Thieberger sent out the first email from the RNLD mailing list, which
continues to provide a unique forum for people to exchange information and
ideas and to share advice about all aspects of language work. That first
message can still be seen in our archive of RNLD discussions.

RNLD has grown immensely since the founders first decided to create an
international organisation to advance the sustainability of the world's
Indigenous languages. The RNLD web site provides a wealth of information
for people involved in language documentation and revitalisation
activities. Our email discussion list now has some 500 subscribers. More
than 1,500 people are members of our Facebook group, and our Twitter
following is close to 800. On the ground, Documenting and Revitalising
Indigenous Languages training workshops have been run with approximately
360 Indigenous participants in 31 locations across all states and
territories. The DRIL program has now supported 75 Aboriginal and Torres
Strait Islander languages.

We would like to celebrate this exciting milestone with you! We're opening
our doors to everyone who has supported us over the years and we'd like to
invite you to join us for a drink and some nibbles at the RNLD office in
Melbourne on Friday 1st August.

To those of you who are interstate or overseas, we would like you to know
how very much we appreciate our members' continued willingness to share
their skills and knowledge with us and with each other. For those of you in
Melbourne, it would be fantastic if you could drop by and celebrate with us.