[RNLD] pitch metpahor

Alexander König Alexander.Koenig at MPI.NL
Fri Jun 6 07:30:47 UTC 2014

On 06/06/14 05:53, Christina Eira wrote:
> has anyone written/come across a good description of the metaphors by
> which many languages characterise pitch as on a 'high-low' continuum?
>
> (or if you can write 2 sentences or dot points that cover it that's good
> too!)
>
> i know there are also languages which use a different continuum, such as
> thick-thin, but i'm after a convincing (preferably non-technical)
> explanation of the derivation of high-low

I know that someone at our institute has written a PhD thesis recently
on that

http://www.mpi.nl/news/sarah-dolscheid-defends-phd-on-october-22

If you want to contact her, she is working in Cologne now.

http://www.hf.uni-koeln.de/34251

best
Alex

--
Alexander König
Archive Manager, The Language Archive (TLA)