[RNLD] re: Video - Handycam or Zoom Q3HD

Steffen Haurholm-Larsen shaurholml at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 10 08:15:29 UTC 2014

In my experience, the most important aspect of good quality audio
recordings, whether combined with video or not, is microphone placement,
(assuming that you are able to reduce back ground noises or willing to live
with them.) A good quality external microphone placed as close as possible
to the sound source can be connected to: a solid state audio recorder, a
consumer grade camcorder, a professional camcorder or a preamplifier used
with a camcorder. I have used the last option for my own fieldwork and this
has the advantage of being able to control the microphone levels and
provide external power so that the microphone does not have to rely on the
device for power (particularly if running on batteries). Depending on the
type of events you are planning to record, you can consider a lavalier
microphone, perhaps wireless; this would be good for events where people
move around a lot. Or you can go with a larger mic on some kind of stand
(or boom pole?) - this is what I have been using for my recordings of
Garifuna, as most of my recordings have been of conversations where people
are sitting with a minimum of moving around.

I hope this helps in some way.

Steffen Haurholm-Larsen
University of Bern, Switzerland

--