[RNLD] Recommendations for lapel mic

Sophie Salffner ss123 at SOAS.AC.UK
Fri Mar 21 10:02:32 UTC 2014

Hi Margit,

for recording single speakers outside in noisy conditions, a
head-mounted microphone might be better than a lapel (if you can
convince your consultants to put them on). The headset mic is very
close to the mouth, closer than the lapel, and you will have much more
signal and far less noise. I've worked with a Shure WH30 (plus an
extra wind shield/dead cat type) attached to a Zoom H4n in a village
in Nigeria with plenty of animals, children, motorbikes, grinding
engines. You still get the odd cockerel that crows nearby, but overall
it was fine. We even went on farm walks with this mic + recorder
combination, the consultant wearing the headset mic and carrying the
recorder in a shoulder bag (see attachment), and I have very nice
recordings of their descriptions of the walks and the farms.

Greetings from London,

Sophie