[RNLD] re: Solar Power - Powermonkey Extreme

Stephen Morey S.Morey at LATROBE.EDU.AU
Mon May 19 01:31:49 UTC 2014

Dear RNLD List,

Since I'm traveling to a location in Upper Burma where power is very restricted, I thought I would investigate whether there is an easy way to power a laptop.

I was sold a product called 'Powermonkey Extreme', from which it is said I can power a laptop. However, it comes without any instructions whatsoever about how to use it, and with lots of connections but nothing that could remotedly be used to power my laptop. I looked up the website for this product, and there is no manual there either.

For example, this product has a pair of solar panels that you can attach to a storage battery. There is no information about whether the battery needs to be connected while the panels are in the sun or not. There is no information about how you can tell that the battery is charged. The battery appears to show full charge, but when I plug anything into it, no charging occurs.

Does anyone have any experience of using this product?

Thanks

Stephen

Stephen Morey
Australian Research Council Future Fellow
Centre for Research on Language Diversity
La Trobe University
Website: http://www.latrobe.edu.au/humanities/about/staff/profile?uname=SMorey<http://www.latrobe.edu.au/rclt/StaffPages/morey.htm>

Language data website: http://sealang.net/assam
Dictionary websites: http://sealang.net/ahom;  http://sealang.net/singpho; http://sealang.net/phake