[RNLD] Creating linguistic maps

Hiram Ring hiram1 at E.NTU.EDU.SG
Tue Sep 23 03:19:34 UTC 2014

Hi folks,

  This may have been asked previously, but I'm trying to create a new map to illustrate rough language boundaries, and I'm having difficulty finding a simple way to do so. I know R has various options and can get geo-data from GIS, but that seems like a steep learning curve. Google mapmaker and other online services that I have found do not provide enough visualization options (you get roads or satellite data, but no district boundaries in India, for example, and can't fill or highlight areas).

  Can anyone recommend some options for creating linguistic maps?

Thanks,
Hiram