[RNLD] Creating linguistic maps

Lauren Gawne lauren.gawne at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 23 11:49:11 UTC 2014

Another option that's even less code-focused than Tilemill is CartoDB:
http://cartodb.com/

It allows you to input data, while Tilemill only allows for manipulation,
which means you can bypass a lot of the CartoCSS code. Having said that,
there is a lot of general support for Tilemill, and it makes quite good
maps (for examples of what I've used Tilemill for check out this map of
Nepal
<http://www.superlinguo.com/post/52576942373/this-weeks-software-suggestion-is-for-tilemill>
or the languages of QLD
<http://www.superlinguo.com/post/54377017229/although-the-artshack-mapping-workshop-was-a-few>
made with Aidan Wilson, Rosey Billington and others using Claire Bowern's
data
<http://anggarrgoon.wordpress.com/2009/06/22/more-fun-stuff-with-google-earth/>
).

I've run workshops on Tilemill before, and if there's any interest will be
happy to work on one for Tilemill or CartoDB for a future ICLDC or CoLang
or some such,

Cheers,

Lauren