[RNLD] changes to Indigenous Languages Support Program announced

Peter Austin pa2 at soas.ac.uk
Wed Apr 1 02:45:32 UTC 2015

Margaret

Thanks for sending around this information -- it is very interesting to
see, and try to understand from afar, the new approach being adopted.

One change that seems to be significant, at least from my position of
ignorance outside Australia, is the following:

"The Ministry for the Arts is developing a Framework to guide the planning,
implementation and review of language projects funded through Indigenous
Languages and Arts (Languages). The Framework aims to assist Indigenous
communities to make more informed decisions about their plans for the
revival or maintenance of their language(s). All Indigenous Languages and
Arts (Languages) funding recipients, in particular language centres, will
be required to use the Framework in the planning, implementation and review
of their language activities. Funding recipients will also be required to
use the Framework to develop a Language Plan (depending on the type of
language project) for each of the languages being targeted. Funding
recipients will be required to consult with Indigenous communities in the
development of their language plan."

Given that language revival and maintenance are undertheorised and no
"proven methods" exist, I wonder who is specifying this "Framework" and
what it might look like. Any ideas?

Peter

--
Prof Peter K. Austin
Marit Rausing Chair in Field Linguistics

Homepage: http://www.hrelp.org/aboutus/staff/index.php?cd=pa
Academia: https://soas.academia.edu/PeterAustin
ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Peter_Austin2
ResearcherID: http://www.researcherid.com/rid/P-5066-2014