Fwd: [RNLD] changes to Indigenous Languages Support Program announced

Susan Hanson susanhanson at y7mail.com
Wed Apr 1 04:37:48 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I met with the Dept a couple of months ago and yes, the funds will be tap-on-the-shoulder funds, given to existing language centres and programs that the Dept believe are performing.

The First Nations group (sorry the correct title escapes me) has been engaged to develop the framework. I put a very strong case forward that if this was deemed essential, that there should be a wide consultative process engaging those people and organisations that had been involved in language preservation and use programs for many years. Not sure if this happened but I haven't been consulted yet.

I believe there is a second bunch of funds due to be released that will allow for individual languages and small groups to gain funds for language work. This may have changed, everything seems open to change. I'm waiting and watching.

I do believe that those of us the discipline need to keep letting the Minister know what is needed with regards to resources for language preservation and use as much is up to the Minister's discretion.

Kind regards,
Sue Hanson
Goldfields Aboriginal Languages Project
044891 7437