[RNLD] Re: Message in a bottle.

Bruce Birch bruce.birch at anu.edu.au
Fri Aug 21 23:18:31 UTC 2015

Just wanted to say thanks to the people who responded to my message in a bottle request. For those of you who may be interested, the language is Armenian, and it appears the author is Lebanese Armenian. We think we’ve identified her (she signed her name at the end) as a woman now living on Cyprus. She had given the message to a maternal uncle, asking him to put it in a bottle and throw it into the sea. She appears to have been in some emotional distress at the time and had written the message as a kind of plea for help, or at least as a way of dealing with her frustration.

The message was found off Monaco (not on a beach on Croker Island as some people may have imagined - that would have been a story). The finder now runs a restaurant in Melbourne. He found it 15 years ago and is very pleased to finally have a translation.

Bruce.

Bruce Birch | Iwaidja Documentation Project | CAP | Australian National University |
bruce.birch at anu.edu.au  | mobile +61 0408 014 354 | Arnhem Land +61 8 8979 0578 |