[RNLD] (More) Summer Research Programs at UQ

Erich Round erichslists at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 02:54:25 UTC 2015

Dear all,

Following this morning¹s theme of excellent undergrad research opportunities
this summer, three more at UQ:

Complex word structure in indigenous languages of Australia
http://languages-cultures.uq.edu.au/index.html?page=178428#Complex_word_stru
cture_in_indigenous

Project duration: 7 weeks, January 4 ­ February 19
Australia¹s indigenous languages are famed for their complex word
structures, making them highly informative for our understanding of how
human language works. This project unearths that complexity and organises it
into computer-readable form, in order to contribute to cutting-edge research
on data visualisation in linguistics (including a concurrent, related summer
project in computer science at UQ), and to electronic resources that will
underlie the coming generation of indigenous language apps.
Suitable for:
We are seeking students in a linguistics major at second year level or
higher, at any Australian or international university. Some study in the
areas of morphology, phonology, or both, is preferred.
Further info:
For further information, please contact Dr Erich Round e.round at uq.edu.au.

The languages of Cape York ‹ bringing Bruce Sommer¹s work to life
http://languages-cultures.uq.edu.au/index.html?page=178428#The_languages_of_
Cape_York
Project duration: 7 weeks, January 4 ­ February 19
Bruce Sommer worked for decades with indigenous peoples throughout Cape
York, recording a vast amount of language material, most of which he
deposited with UQ¹s Fryer Library. This project will begin to enrich
Sommer¹s records, by bringing it out of archival boxes and into more readily
accessible forms, specifically, by creating electronically readable and
deliverable versions of some of his thousands of pages of notes on
traditional stories, grammar, vocab and culture.
Suitable for:
We are seeking students in a linguistics major at second year level or
higher, at any Australian or international university. Some study in the
areas of phonology and phonetics is preferred.
Further info:
For further information, please contact Dr Erich Round e.round at uq.edu.au.

Building a dictionary of Garrwa
http://languages-cultures.uq.edu.au/index.html?page=178428#Building_a_dictio
nary_of_Garrwa
Project duration: 8 - 10 weeks (negotiable)
The Garrwa language is spoken in the Gulf Country around the town of
Borroloola (NT) and east towards the Queensland Border. Children no longer
learn Garrwa as a first language but there are a number of older Garrwa
people in and around Borroloola and the community of Robinson River who are
keen to ensure that the language is well-documented and taught to young
people to maintain and revitalise cultural and linguistic heritage and
practices. They are particularly interested in the production of a
dictionary to sit alongside the recently published reference grammar
(Mushin, I. 2012. A grammar of (Western) Garrwa. Mouton). The first stage of
this project will be to work through an older draft dictionary from 1997 and
checked with speakers in 2006-2010 to compile an initial list of entries
and, where possible, match with recordings of the words. Students will learn
practical skills in language documentation and the development of dictionary
entries, as well as learning about the Garrwa language.
Suitable for:
We are seeking students in a linguistics major at second year level or
higher, at any Australian or international university.
Further info:
For further information, please contact Dr Ilana Mushin, i.mushin at uq.edu.au.

Dr. Erich Round
ARC DECRA Research Fellow
School of Languages and Cultures
University of Queensland, QLD 4072, Australia
Ph: +61 7 3365 6892 | Fax: +61 7 3365 6799
http://researchers.uq.edu.au/researcher/1761