Fwd: [RNLD] Gun-ngaypa Rrawa Book Launch Invitation

Nick Thieberger thien at unimelb.edu.au
Fri Mar 13 21:52:19 UTC 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Margaret Carew <margaret.carew at batchelor.edu.au>
Date: 23 February 2015 at 14:18
Subject: [RNLD] Gun-ngaypa Rrawa Book Launch Invitation
To: r-n-l-d at unimelb.edu.au

         Gun-ngaypa Rrawa
'My Country'

Book launch invitation - see image for place and time.
   View this email in your browser
<http://us9.campaign-archive1.com/?u=a6182f5598d18eb7bd829ff39&id=1a93c2f430&e=53158712a4>

Gun-ngaypa Rrawa means 'My Country' in the Gun-nartpa language of
North-central Arnhem Land, Australia. In this book, An-nguliny clan leader
and celebrated artist England Banggala tells of Yirrichinga Ancestral
Spirits who created the country around Gochan Jiny-jirra on the Cadell
River, and the Jowunga spirits associated with his mother's clan around the
Barlparnarra swamp and Nganyjuwa floodplain. These spirits are celebrated
in the ceremonies, stories and visual art of the Gun-nartpa people and
their close neighbors.

Banggala and other elders also tell stories from the old days, when
hunting, bush foods, warfare and sorcery were part of everyday life. They
describe the Second World War, the coming of the Welfare Time and the
settlement of Maningrida and outstations. The book celebrates the diversity
of languages in the region by presenting the stories in both Gun-nartpa and
English.

Many of you have received this invitation because you have supported the
project, contributed information or allowed us to publish your photographs.
We understand you may not be able to make it to the launch but would like
to express our gratitude to all of you. Please feel free to forward this
invitation to others who are interested in the art, languages, stories and
people from the Maningrida region.

To order a copy of the book, contact Batchelor Press:

*website *batchelorpress.com
<http://batchelor.us9.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=a6182f5598d18eb7bd829ff39&id=fcc39b6997&e=53158712a4>
*phone *(08) 8939 7352
*email *orders at batchelorpress.com

The book is printed with the technology of sound printing - you can listen
to the songs using a ‘speaking pen’. For more information about sound
printing and for access to pens and sound files, visit
http://soundprinting.batchelor.edu.au
<http://batchelor.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a6182f5598d18eb7bd829ff39&id=2b86be5edf&e=53158712a4>

RSVP:  margaret.carew at batchelor.edu.au

           *Copyright © 2015 Batchelor Institute, All rights reserved.*
You have received this email because you belong to the Maningrida
Community, are a friend or colleague of Maningrida or associated in some
way with the Gun-ngaypa Rrawa 'My Country' publication.

*Our mailing address is:*
Batchelor Institute
Desert People's Centre Campus
South Stuart Highway
Alice Springs, NT 0870
Australia

Add us to your address book
<http://batchelor.us9.list-manage.com/vcard?u=a6182f5598d18eb7bd829ff39&id=d501516288>

unsubscribe from this list
<http://batchelor.us9.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=a6182f5598d18eb7bd829ff39&id=d501516288&e=53158712a4&c=1a93c2f430>
update subscription preferences
<http://batchelor.us9.list-manage.com/profile?u=a6182f5598d18eb7bd829ff39&id=d501516288&e=53158712a4>

[image: Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp]
<http://www.mailchimp.com/monkey-rewards/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=monkey_rewards&aid=a6182f5598d18eb7bd829ff39&afl=1>