[RNLD] The Patji-Dawes Award: Call for Nominations

Piers Kelly Piers.Kelly at anu.edu.au
Wed May 20 23:35:12 UTC 2015

The purpose of the Patji-Dawes award is to honour outstanding achievements
in language teaching by an accomplished practitioner. It reflects our
belief that  achieving proficiency in other languages is one of the great
learning experiences in the human condition, that this happens all too
rarely in contemporary Australian society, and that there is unfilled need
for public recognition of those who defy our national mediocrity in this
arena.

The teaching may take place in any setting – school, university, private
language school, an indigenous community – provided that the learner is
led, by the teacher’s inspiration, to a high level of mastery in the chosen
language. Nominations are made by someone who has achieved a very high
level of fluency in their chosen language and would like to honour their
teacher by setting out what it was about their practice which inspired and
enabled them to unlock the rewards of learning another language despite all
the difficulties involved.

*About the name*
The name commemorates the teaching-learning partnership which underlay the
earliest documented language learning in Australia’s history: that between
a young indigenous Eora woman, Patyegarang (Patye or Patji, pronounced
Pat-che), and Lieutenant William Dawes. Their close and humane relationship
resulted not only in an exceptional mastery of the Sydney language by Dawes
but in a relationship of cross-cultural understanding that has been all too
rare in Australia’s history.

*Deadline for submission of nominations: 20 August, 2015.*

Details of our very simple nomination process can be found at our webpage:
http://www.dynamicsoflanguage.edu.au/get-involved/dawes-award/

--
Dr Piers Kelly
Communications and Outreach Coordinator

 [image: Description: u3227473:Logo Design:The Dynamics of Language Logo
files:EPS:The Dynamics of Language Logo.eps]