[RNLD] Second Call for Papers: Workshop on gender and linguistic fieldwork, 8 June 2015

Julia Sallabank js72 at soas.ac.uk
Sat May 2 13:26:20 UTC 2015

*Second Call for Papers: Workshop on gender and linguistic fieldwork, 8
June 2015*

We welcome contributions to our workshop on gender and linguistic
fieldwork.

Please circulate this call to anyone else you think might be interested

(apologies for cross-posting).

Location:                                              SOAS, University of
London, UK

Workshop date:                                    8th June 2015

Contact:
                        gender.fieldwork at gmail.comWeb page:
                         www.soas.ac.uk/gender-linguistic-fieldwork/

*Extended deadline for abstracts:          7th May 2015*

Notification of acceptance:                    15th May 2015

Workshop description:

The purpose of the workshop is to provide a platform for fieldworkers to
exchange their experiences and reflections on the role gender plays in both
their work and personal life while in the field.

A lot has been said about the relationship between gender and fieldwork in
anthropology, but no such exchange has yet been initiated in documentary
linguistics. By means of this workshop we hope to start bridging that gap,
and hopefully make fieldworkers more aware of ways of conceptualising, and
relating to both their gendered experience, and gender dynamics in their
host communities.

This event is an all-day workshop, with two keynote talks as well as
refereed presentations.

Keynote speakers:

Natalia Buitrón-Arias, London School of Economics (LSE) and
Grégory Deshoullière, École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales (EHESS),
Paris

Professor Anne Pauwels, SOAS, University of London

 We welcome contributions on one or both of the topics below:

1)    Gender dynamics within speech communities and their relation to
language behaviour  and policy  (including personal and family language
policy)

2)      Gender as it relates to the experiences of fieldworkers.

Contributors should relate these topics to their own fieldwork experience.
Contributions are invited from linguists, linguistic anthropologists, and
other fieldworkers who work with language-related topics. Each of the
presenters will have 20 minutes for the talk, plus 10 minutes for questions.

Abstracts should not exceed one page (including references), and should be
sent to the workshop’s email: gender.fieldwork at gmail.com by the extended
deadline of *7th May 2015. *Abstracts should be anonymised, and the details
of the author(s): name, position, academic affiliation and contact email
should be included in the body of the email.

We look forward to seeing you at the workshop

Organisers:
Karolina Grzech and Julia Sallabank

Department of Linguistics,
SOAS, University of London,