[RNLD] RE: Field equipment

Julia Colleen Miller julia.miller at anu.edu.au
Fri Nov 20 00:36:14 UTC 2015

Hi All,

RE: Zooms- Yes! We’ve just been using the H5, not upgrading to the H6 quite yet, but mostly because we have not been recording much music or singing here and the H5 model has been really quite exceptional for speech (well, yes, some singing, birdsong collection, as well as phonetic analyses).

Was worried about a bigger power drain in the H6 due to the new improved colour viewer. And battery power is an issue in PNG. Probably less so for you mob working in less-remote spots in Australia. The specs say 20 hours of continuous recording, though I am a bit suspicious of this, as their previous model would not record more than 4 or 5 hours, though this was in extreme heat/humidity conditions and usually with phantom power turned on for external head-mounted mics.

As for XLR and the Rode mics, they offer these mini-to-XLR adapters, but you would want to test what they do to the signal quality: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/387850-REG/Rode_VXLR_VXLR_Mono_Mini_Jack.html

We have been using the Sennheiser 100 G3 wireless set up which has been really great. The XLR connector is the configuration we use most for the Zooms and Canon video cameras (like the XA20), but with the smaller handicams, the mini connector works fine, too.

I might purchase a Rode for the Centre and test it out. A locally-made, less expensive option is always a good thing… if the quality and interoperability is similar. Same goes for the H6.

Cheers,
Julia

Dr Julia Colleen Miller
Senior Data Manager
http://orcid.org/0000-0002-8827-3825

ARC Centre of Excellence for the Dynamics of Language
College of Asia and the Pacific | The Australian National University
Tel:  +61 2 6125 6115 | dynamicsoflanguage.edu.au​<http://www.dynamicsoflanguage.edu.au/>

[The Dynamics of Language Logo]