[RNLD] A Transcriber-Toolbox converter and Toolbox-Subtitle converter

Hiram Ring hiram1 at e.ntu.edu.sg
Thu Nov 26 02:04:56 UTC 2015

Hi Everyone,

  I've written a program that converts Transcriber time-aligned files to Toolbox-readable files. It's inspired by Andrew Margetts' online converter (http://linguisticsoftwareconverters.zong.mine.nu/) and you can read more about it here: https://www.academia.edu/s/a3a794aedd (comments on this draft are welcome) or here: https://github.com/themadafrican/trs2txt/releases/download/v1.0/Ring-The_trs2txt_script_Transcriber_to_Toolbox.pdf

  The basic goal is to have an offline program that is configurable to individual linguists (by editing a text .cfg file), in order to support the 'Transcriber > Toolbox > ELAN' workflow that many linguists still use. I'd love to have feedback from anyone, particularly if it doesn't work for you, so I can fix it. You can download the program at http://github.com/themadafrican/trs2txt/releases - and if you're a coder and want to improve it or incorporate it into another project, feel free.

  I also wrote a script for Mark Post that converts time-aligned Toolbox files into subtitle (.srt) files. This program doesn't have as extensive documentation as the transcriber converter, but if you're interested in generating subtitles directly from Toolbox files you can download it at: https://github.com/themadafrican/txt2srt/releases - also on a freely distributable CC license.

  These are still works in progress, and I hope to update them soon. There are some incorrect statements in one of the README files, for example, that I need to fix.

Best,
Hiram
Dr. Hiram Ring
Research Fellow, Linguistics
Nanyang Technological University
http://linguistics.hss.ntu.edu.sg
http://nanyang.academia.edu/HiramRing

CONFIDENTIALITY: This email is intended solely for the person(s) named and may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it, notify me and do not copy, use, or disclose its content. Thank you.

Toward A Sustainable Earth: Print Only When Necessary