[RNLD] Announcement: Linguistics in the pub in London (LIPIL) - 6th October 2015 - Why document endangered languages?

Lauren Gawne lauren.gawne at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 10:45:01 UTC 2015

*Announcement: Linguistics in the Pub in London (LIPIL)** **Tuesday** 6th
October 2015** - Why document endangered languages? *

*Note: *New date (Tuesday!) and new location (The Percy!)

LIPIL is an occasional gathering of language activists and linguists in
London and serves as an informal forum for the discussion of languages,
linguistics and related issues. We meet roughly once a month and discuss a
selected theme or issue. LIPIL is coordinated by Lauren Gawne (SOAS,
University of London) and is open to everyone who is interested. We're
currently looking for people who might be interested in helping to
organise LIPIL, or write summaries of each of the events for the Endangered
Languages and Cultures blog <http://www.paradisec.org.au/blog/>. Or you can
Tweet on the night with the #LIPIL hashtag.

Our October LIPIL takes place as the academic year is getting under way. We
will spend the evening discussing the fundamental question of motivation in
language documentation. This is an opportunity to discuss major theoretical
motivations for documentation work, but also a chance for individual
researchers to discuss their personal motivations for doing the type of
work that they do. Whether you've spent decades working in language
documentation or you're just beginning your linguistics degree, this
evening will be a chance to talk about why this work is important and
interesting.

Background reading:

There are many good Language Documentation monographs and volumes that
outline reasons for language documentation, but from the personal
perspective the Linguist List's Featured Linguists
<http://blog.linguistlist.org/category/fund-drive/featured-linguists/>
interviews
provide a great resource. Language documentation researchers featured
include Rachel Nordlinger
<http://blog.linguistlist.org/fund-drive/featured-linguist-rachel-nordlinger/>
, Eric Campbell
<http://blog.linguistlist.org/fund-drive/featured-linguist-eric-campbell/>,