[RNLD] H6

Mark W. Post markwpost at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 02:23:49 EDT 2016

Dear Listmembers,

Has anyone field-tested the Zoom H6
<https://www.zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/field-recording/h6-handy-recorder>yet?
One of my students is interested in taking it out, but I personally
can't see that it adds any features that langdoc people would be
interested in, and might have a few undesirables. Specifically, although
the swapping-around of different capsules is certainly cool, and while
the internal mics for Zoom recorders are certainly *pretty* good,
they're nowhere near as good as good-quality 3rd party mics are, so this
seems a little gimmicky to me - am I wrong? Also, I'm concerned that the
colour LCD display on the H6 might eat up batteries faster than the H4n
display did. And I can't think of any reason we'd want sooooo many
independent XLR inputs, unless there's a really complicated mic setup
(like a ritual performance, in which you want both a headset on the
principal speaker and some other sort of mics on a lot of other people,
and you actually have the money for all of the mics and the time and
inclination to actually do some signal mixing afterwards). So it seems
to me to be a pretty specific tool which most people recording
monologues and 2-3 person interactions can probably do without, or at
least won't offer any advantages over the cheaper H4n. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Mark