[RNLD] Field Linguistics Texts

Brenda Boerger brenda_boerger at sil.org
Thu Aug 18 08:28:01 EDT 2016

Hello Lesley,

It is by no means an “industry standard,” but you might be interested in
having a look at a book colleagues and I just published on line.

Boerger, Brenda H., Stephen N. Self, Sarah Ruth Moeller, and D. Will
Reiman. 2016.  Language and Culture Documentation Manual. LeanPub first
edition.
https://leanpub.com/languageandculturedocumentationmanual

It is only $15 (or $7.50 if you pay the minimum) and once subscribed all
the updates on the first edition are free.

We put it up as a draft in June and it is in quite a bit better shape now.

There are recommendations for equipment and why which helps since Samarin’s
text (which I used as an undergrad ever so many years ago) would have been
talking about reel-to-reel tapes, as I recall. Of course, I do still have
my copy.

Other good texts used in a Field Methods class I helped teach:

Bowern, Claire. 2008. Linguistic fieldwork: A practical guide. New York:
Palgrave Macmillan.

·         The website for the book can be found at
*http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~bowern/fieldwork/
<http://www.ruf.rice.edu/%7Ebowern/fieldwork/>*.

Crowley, Terry. 2007. Field linguistics: A beginner’s guide. Oxford: Oxford
University Press.

Newman, Paul and Martha Ratliff, eds. 2001. Linguistic fieldwork.
Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

And there are corrections and extra materials at the Bowern link.

Hope you find what you need.

~Brenda