[RNLD] Endangered Language Digital Projects

Blake Paul Kendall blakekendall at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 17 20:44:14 UTC 2016

Dear RNLDers,

I have a request to hear of some contemporary examples of Digital Endangered
Languages Projects.

I have recently crossed over from the Linguistic field into Anthropology.
Currently Berlin-based completing an MA in Visual and Media Anthropology.
And for my current research I am focussing on Digital Cultures. This is
obviously a detour from Linguistic Revival and Preservation projects,
however as a long term goal, I am hoping to be able to establish this
inter-disciplinary practise with the continued community-collaboration of
resource and story-based projects. (As some will remember, such as 'Apo
Uleu' - Eastern Penan Language Children's Book ­ Sarawak, Borneo 2014).
Hopefully there will be an interesting development for the nature of our
collective projects to see Visual Anthropology's methodologies applied.

For now I wanted to hear from the RNLD community about some digital
resources / media tools that are currently being adopted.
I am interested in contemporary projects (already engaging community -
post­pilot) that have been enabled through community participation. These
can be Australian or Internationally based Linguistic Groups. This may be a
smart-phone app, Facebook group, video-game, website etc ­ any digital-based
medium.
One thing I am looking at is the relationship of a developed community, or
an existing one and the impact of the digital format. Ideally these would
have a participatory aspect that fosters 'sharing' and interaction between
users (user-user [via tech] relation), rather than a educational resource
(user-tech relation).

This could also be a great opportunity to have some outside research
conducted about the structure of how individuals relate with such projects.
All field work will be enacted through the digital space, and so is an
aspect to consider about the nature of users.

If anyone has any projects that they themselves have been part of, or that
you have heard of, I would greatly appreciate if you may share with me over
the coming days.

I hope this finds you all well!

Cheers

--
Blake-Paul Kendall- Artist, Storyteller & Explorer
(Indigenous and Tribal Language Preservation and Revival)
blakekendall at hotmail.com
(Berlin ­ Germany)