[RNLD] Current best practices of presenting ELAN based annotations online

Mat Bettinson mat at plothatching.com
Mon Feb 29 13:13:23 UTC 2016

On 29 February 2016 at 22:03, Meikal Mumin <meikal.mumin at uni-koeln.de>

http://wavesurfer-js.org/
> Seems the most modern solution, without the need for plugins, but I was
> unable to find the documentation regarding the ELAN API (It was developed
> by a Russian team of researchers, and their website is in Russian, which I
> don't understand), and I would have to manually write some Javascript and
> HTML...

I tried out the ELAN plug-in for wavesurfer. It worked pretty well. It is
of course no kind of turn-key solution, it's a component for web
developers. We're working on a web-based annotator now, currently using
wavesurfer, and a little latter on probably something quite like what
you're looking for. Potentially as hosted  web service. It's going to
months away though and we've only just begun looking at how the web service
might work. It is absolutely something that should exist!

>    - http://ideophone.org/subtitles-in-elan-and-beyond/
>
> In 2009, Mark Dingemanse blogged about creating subtitles from ELAN
> annotations. ELAN seems to have such capabilities out of the box by now,
> however this requires plugins for display in a browser or a download of
> files. AFAIK and more importantly, subtitles are simple and cannot show
> aligned multi-layered annotations.

That blog seems to be building subtitles videos using software. A dead
simple way of getting something online is to export to common subtitle
formats and just upload those to YouTube. I'm not quite sure what you mean
with regards to multi-layered. You can do overlapping subtitles, to some
degree. Some applications which are exceedingly common is to have
multi-speaker subtitles with a simultaneous translation.

> wavesurfer.js and solutions based on that seem to be the future, but for
now there seems to be no simple way of using them without writing HTML &
Javascript.

That's pretty much how it is. So the best way something done is to recruit
a web developer. I'd like to create a web service to facilitate what you're
looking to do but it's a ways off yet, and our work is more focused on kind
of lay-persons produced annotations rather than detailed linguistic
annotations. So I can't say that we're going to make something that does
what you want, but I will say that many of us are aware of the lack of good
current solutions in this area. It's just time to roll up those sleeves and
get building.

--
Regards,

Mat Bettinson