[RNLD] Online Transcription for community involvement

Cat Kutay cat.kutay at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 07:09:40 UTC 2016

Dear Members

I am working with Muurrbay Language and Culture Cooperative, Macquarie University and others on a project to develop an online transcription tools that can be set up on language sites to engage people form around Australia to transcribe resources in their own language. The tool would be free to use and available to improve or adapt to different language needs.

We will be using transcription in online websites and mobile apps to link archival material from AIATSIS with language teaching resources. I have been speaking to Nick Theiberger as this is also in his area of interest and expertise.

Is there anyone else at RNLD that might be interested in this project i can talk to? The aim would be to go for some funding to support this work and to get it out to more centres to verify and improve the usability of such a tool.

The aim is to provide a tool similar to ELAN which some people know, but more straight forward and accessible on the internet to share translations. We hope this will provide a tool that engages community in the reclamation. The result will be that when we have time aligned translation, we can provides sound files for teaching through linking words to their sound in online worksheets

We are doing another project in Bundjalung where this is set up.

Cheers

            |\___/|
         =)  ^Y^ (=  	Cat Kutay ⚽️
           \    ^   /    	Room 206, K17
           )= * =(    	School of Computer Science
          /          \ 		The University of New South Wales
          |           |  	Mob: 0418 455 089
         /|    |  |   |\ 	Ph: 02 9385 5257 Fax: 9385 5995
         \|   ||_|/|   |    	Skype: cat.kutay
    _ _//_//__//_/_     	ckutay at cse.unsw.edu.au <mailto:ckutay at cse.unsw.edu.au>
   |   |  \_) |   |   |      	http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~ckutay <http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~ckutay>

Languages are precious storehouses of history, experience and culture; a crucial link between the past and the future - Jeanie Bell, Aboriginal Linguist