[RNLD] Fwd: #SavingMiriwoong Crowdfunding Campaign

Margaret Florey mflorey at rnld.org
Thu Jul 7 22:30:05 EDT 2016

Dear RNLDers,

Please see the email below which Matthew Keast has circulated concerning a
crowdfunding campaign for the Miriwoong language.

kind regards
Margaret

Date: 5 July 2016 at 19:41
Subject: #SavingMiriwoong Crowdfunding Campaign
To: Matthew Keast <communications at mirima.org.au>

Hello from Mirima!!

*Garni woora-ngoong? (How are you?)*

*Gooloo-gooloob yirremindayin yawoorroong ngenayima (We are all happy
here).*

As part of our mission to save the Miriwoong language from extinction we
are looking for new and innovative ways of helping to bring language back
into the home. That’s why we’re hoping to begin developing *an online
Miriwoong video series for language learners to access, watch and learn in
the comfort of their own homes*.

Unfortunately, the current funding climate is extremely difficult and,
despite the success of our programs, MDWg has not been immune to the
effects of government budget cuts. As such, we’ve resolved to put our faith
in the people and begin a *crowdfunding campaign!*

*We’ve set ourselves the target of raising $10,000! With this money we will
be able to begin writing, filming, editing and producing a Miriwoong video
series for children and their families!* You can check out our campaign
here: https://www.chuffed.org/project/saving-miriwoong

We are incredibly excited to be launching our first crowdfunding campaign!
Although this excitement is tempered with some nerves as well. Being a
small Aboriginal organisation based in such a remote part of Australia we
fear that despite the importance of our message our voice still won’t be
heard. That’s why we’re calling on you to help give strength to our voice
and the voice of all Miriwoong people, by donating to our campaign and
sharing it with your friends, family and colleagues.

Every donation, no matter how small, makes a difference! Plus we’re also
giving away some great ‘perks’ for each donation to help motivate everyone,
such as: video credits, singed books, language lessons and an invitation to
a special cultural dinner. We are hopeful that the collective actions of
many will help to strongly believe that small actions can make a big
difference when many work together, and are hopeful that Australians can
unite to help *Save Miriwoong*. We strongly believe that small actions can
make a big difference when many work together, and are hopeful enough
people will unite to *Save Miriwoong*.

And if you’d like to go the extra-mile and really help kick-start our
campaign, we would love it if you could please email or share our campaign
on social media with your friends, family and colleagues.  For convenience
I’ve typed up an email template below for you to copy/paste (feel free to
amend to suit). We’ve also created this video
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLbCxw6umeU> to introduce some of the
Miriwoong mob to the rest of the world and to share why saving their mother
tongue is so important.

*If you have any question about our campaign or the work we do at MDWg
please feel free to contact me via email or phone on 0431 679 916
<0431%20679%20916>. Thanks so much for your support!*

Regards,

Matthew Keast

Mirima Dawang Woorlab-gerring Language and Culture Centre

Dear __________,

I’d like to introduce you to Mirima Dawang Woorlab-gerring Language and
Culture Centre <http://www.mirima.org.au> (MDWg).

MDWg is a small Aboriginal organisation devoted to saving the Miriwoong
language and culture from extinction. Miriwoong is the name of the language
and traditional owners for the lands surrounding the remote Western
Australian town of Kununurra.

Tragically, there are now only a handful of fluent Miriwoong speakers
remaining. As a result, there is now a very real risk that the Miriwoong
language will be lost and future generations will grow up missing a key
part of their Aboriginal identity.

With your help though, we can prevent this loss and help save Miriwoong.

MDWg have just launched a crowdfunding campaign
<https://www.chuffed.org/project/saving-miriwoong> to develop a Miriwoong
short film series and need your help to raise the $10,000 needed to bring
this idea to life. These videos will teach language to Miriwoong children
and their families with the aim of bringing language back into the home and
everyday life.

MDWg are offering the following perks to donors:

$5 – Recognition in a social media shout-out.

$25 – A video credit on our Miriwoong videos

$50 – A personal, handwritten ‘thank you’ card from MDWg staff members.

$100 – A signed copy of a ‘*Let’s Learn Miriwoong’* speaking books

$250 – Free Language Lessons at MDWg for one semester (only available to
Kununurra residents)

$500 – Receive a Saving Miriwoong pack; all benefits listed above, plus a
copy of each of MDWg’s ‘Let’s learn Miriwoong!’ resources

$750 – An invitation to a cultural dinner (cooked *warlayi* style in an
earth oven) – only available to 5-10 people.

Please help MDWg by donating to their campaign and sharing it with others.
Together we can save Miriwoong!

Campaign: https://www.chuffed.org/project/saving-miriwoong

Regards,

P.S. Apologies if you have already received some correspondence about this
campaign from myself or other staff at MDWg. It is not our intention to
spam anyone and we hope that this email hasn’t caused you any
inconvienence. If you no longer wish to receive emails from MDWg then
please reply to this email with “unsubscribe” and we will remove you from
our mailing list.

[image: Signature template] <http://www.mirima.org.au/>

[image: GiveNow thumbnail] <https://www.givenow.com.au/mirima>  [image: fb
thumbnail] <https://www.facebook.com/mirima>  [image: Twitter thumbnail]
<https://twitter.com/Mirima_Language> [image: LinkedIn thumbnail]
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/mirima-dawang-woorlab-gerring-language-culture-0234ab29?trk=nav_responsive_tab_profile>

--
Dr Margaret Florey
DRIL Director

I am usually available in the office Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and
Fridays except when I am travelling to deliver DRIL training workshops
<http://t.co/xulmFjTlmt>

*Contact details*

ph: +61 (03) 9077-9500 (office)
mob: 0488 086 031
skype: RNLDorg

*Postal address*
Resource Network for Linguistic Diversity
Box 9
19-21 Argyle Place South
Carlton, Victoria 3053
Australia

*Street address*
Suite 3, Level 1
19-21 Argyle Place South
Carlton, Victoria 3053

www.rnld.org
ABN 24 215 634 040

*RNLD proudly supports the Racism.it stops with me campaign  *

itstopswithme.humanrights.gov.au <http://t.co/xulmFjTlmt>
*ItStopsWithMe*

I pay my respects and acknowledgments to all Traditional Custodians on
whose land I live, work and travel through