[RNLD] benefits of speaking indigenous language

Bill Palmer bill.palmer at newcastle.edu.au
Sun May 22 09:25:33 EDT 2016

Hi all

Can someone point me to a neat set of statistics relating to the benefits of speaking an indigenous language, in terms of lower incarceration rates, lower suicide rates, better health outcomes etc etc. I've heard a lot of anecdotal stuff and some figures I now can't locate. I want to have something concrete for a language endangerment class.

Bill

Dr Bill Palmer
Director
Endangered Languages Documentation, Theory
      and Application Research Program
HASS, FEDUA
University of Newcastle
Callaghan NSW 2308