[RNLD] Linguistics in the Pub in London

Peter Austin pa2 at soas.ac.uk
Wed Oct 5 10:36:34 EDT 2016

*Announcement: **Linguistics in the pub in London (LIPIL)* *Tuesday** 11th
October 2016 – What is a linguist?*

"Ultimately a linguist is someone who can walk into the jungle, find a
[language] -- no language in common! -- and figure it all out with a spiral
notebook and a Bic pen."

This recent quote from Dan Everett on Facebook highlights a view of
linguistics that sees its practitioners as outsiders charged with the task
of documenting languages in remote locations. In the first Linguistics in
the Pub in London for the 2016-17 academic year we'll discuss what it means
to be a linguist, the role of linguists in documenting previously
unsubscribed languages, and 'saving' endangered languages. We will also
discuss the changing role of technology in linguistics. Are a spiral
notebook and pen sufficient tools for the modern linguist?