[RNLD] At the interface of language description and typology - Melbourne Linguistics in the Pub –Wednesday 10th May 2017

Ruth Singer ruth.singer at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 00:14:21 EDT 2017

*Announcement: Melbourne Linguistics in the Pub – **Wednesday 10th May 2017*

*Typologist or not? At the interface of language description and typology*

*Discussion led by*: Ana Krajinovic Rodrigues, Humboldt University /
University of Melbourne

The relationship between language description, typology, and universals has
recently sparked some interest among linguists (Lingtyp discussion followed
by a session at SLE 2016 and a workshop at SLE 2017, see also the last
issue of Linguistic Typology). We will explore some aspects of this debate,
coming principally from the perspective of a linguist working on language
description and documentation.

We will try to understand what constitutes the connection and
interdependency between language description and typology. On the one hand,
grammars are the main source for the typological research, and, on the
other hand, typology provides important theoretical insights for language
description. We will discuss the nature of typological insights relevant
for language description, and, in turn, how easily does working on a
description of a single language turn into a typological study?

We will discuss some of the following questions:

What is the role of typology in understanding language-particular
categories?

How important is it for descriptive categories to be based on
typologically-informed studies?

Is the adoption of a ‘framework-free’ approach in language description the
main reason why we need typology as a theoretical basis?