[RNLD] current work on digital data-based ling descriptions?

Luke Gessler lukegessler at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 14:55:49 EST 2017

Hi,

Including citations in glosses (as I see Thieberger did in his grammar) is
a great idea. I'm curious, would you mind sharing some of the websites
you've seen that attempt to do this?

You say you're looking for alternatives to websites, but if a grammar were
prepared as a web document, it would be possible to hyperlink from the
gloss in the description to the primary data, whether it's a written text,
an audio recording, or something else. That seems pretty ideal, right?

I think your concern might be that websites are often fragile and ephemeral
(they definitely often are), but this isn't endemic to the medium. It is
possible to use a website as a front end to a proper archive. One example
that comes to mind is Lise Dobrin's Arapesh Grammar and Digital Language
Archive <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/nbpzB5SV74zKt0?domain=arapesh.org>, which has been around since 2006 and is
maintained by a technical organization at her university
<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/1RkEBaHRoMXzuZ?domain=iath.virginia.edu>.

Was that the limitation you saw in websites, or are there others you see?

Regards,
Luke Gessler

On Sat, Dec 2, 2017 at 11:12 AM, Jorge Emilio Rosés Labrada <jrosesla at uwo.ca