[RNLD] Reminder- Melbourne Linguistics in the Pub – WEDNESDAY 1st March 2017

Ruth Singer ruth.singer at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 21:47:54 EST 2017

Hi all
Just a reminder that the next Melbourne Linguistics in the Pub is on
tomorrow WEDNESDAY 1st March. The last few were on Tuesdays. And the pub is
Naughton's.
Ruth

On 21 Feb 2017 12:49 PM, "Ruth Singer" <ruth.singer at gmail.com> wrote:

*Announcement: Melbourne Linguistics in the Pub – Wednesday 1st March 2017*

*You’ve got a skin name- so use it! Promoting language diversity in the
field*

*Leading the discussion*: *Alexandra Marley*, Wellsprings of linguistic
diversity project, Australian National University

As linguists, we are occasionally called upon to provide professional
advice and consultation to government or community organisations. However,
how our advice is received, implemented or interpreted can be disappointing
and frustrating.

Given the experience collectively held by linguists engaging with a variety
of communities, organisations and policies, I want to engage in a
discussion on how to, 1) achieve a better success rate in getting
organisations and programs to follow through with their language-related
goals, and 2) develop language-positive practices in the broader community.