[RNLD] Announcement: Linguistics in the pub in London (LIPIL) Tuesday 17th January 2017 – Language and Culture

Lauren Gawne lauren.gawne at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 04:47:31 EST 2017

*Announcement: **Linguistics in the pub in London (LIPIL)* *Tuesday** 17th
January 2017 – Language and Culture*

Linguists have long recognised that there are deep links and associations
between language as a system of sounds, symbols and gestures employed to
communicate meaning and the socio-cultural context of  shared patterns of
behavior, beliefs, knowledge, attitudes and values within which particular
languages function. The importance of these links has been highlighted in
recent work in language documentation, revitalisation, pedagogy and
translation. In this LIPIL meeting we will discuss issues like: what is
culture? how do we document and describe it? what role does it play in
language teaching and learning? how much of language and culture knowledge
is implicit (what Dan Everett in his latest book calls "dark matter")? if
people can be bilingual can they also be bicultural, and if so what would
that mean?