[RNLD] Language Documentation, Revitalization, and Reclamation: Supporting Young Learners and Their Communities

Ruth Rouvier rrouvier at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 16:07:53 EDT 2017

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing to share a new white paper,* Language Documentation,
Revitalization, and Reclamation: Supporting Young Learners and Their
Communities
<http://www.edc.org/language-documentation-revitalization-and-reclamation>*,
which addresses the relationship between language documentation and
language revitalization and reclamation (LR), and associated impacts on
young children and their communities. The paper was produced by the Child
Language Research and Revitalization Working Group, comprised of academic,
professional, and community experts from a wide variety of disciplines and
backgrounds. Our work was generously supported by the National Science
Foundation under Grant No. 1500720.

In this paper, we explore the impact of language documentation on LR, and
consider how these activities not only promote language (re)learning, but
also influence social, emotional and physical well-being among young
children and their families and communities. We discuss existing research
and practice, and recommend next steps to support Indigenous communities’
actions to maintain, restore, and reclaim their languages. Through this
overview of existing knowledge, we aim to lay a foundation for future
research in order to share and enhance the outcomes and benefits of
language documentation and LR practice.

Please share this paper with your networks!

Regards,

Ruth Rouvier
PhD Candidate, Linguistics
University of California, Berkeley