[RNLD] Best practice wrt authentic data

Nick Thieberger thien at unimelb.edu.au
Thu Jun 8 15:55:59 EDT 2017

Hi Joe,

It it central to any proper scientific endavour to use citable data that
allows an analysis to be verified. In language documentation this means
creating a corpus of primary data in the course of fieldwork so that it can
both serve our research and also be citable and reusable by others. Stephen
Morey and I both developed methods for citation of primary data in our PhD
dissertations and this allowed us to have playable versions of examples
that readers could hear in context. At the time there were no tools to
facilitate this, but with Elan it is now a simple matter to create textual
corpora from dynamic media.

Digital linguistic archives have been developed so that data can be
persistently located and cited.

Journals require or will soon require citation that allows readers to hear
examples (if they are from recorded sources)

There has been a working group on these issues that presented at the LSA in
January this year (https://sites.google.com/a/hawaii.edu/data-citation/
lsa2017)

All the best,

Nick

See also:
Thieberger, Nicholas. 2009. Steps toward a grammar embedded in data. Epps,
Patricia and Alexandre Arkhipov. (eds.) New Challenges in Typology:
Transcending the Borders and Refining the Distinctions. Berlin; New York,
NY: Mouton de Gruyter Mouton. 389-408. http://repository.
unimelb.edu.au/10187/4864
Thieberger, Nicholas and Andrea Berez. 2012. Linguistic data management. In
Thieberger, Nicholas. (ed) The Oxford Handbook of Linguistic Fieldwork.
Oxford: OUP. [A pre-print copy is available
http://www.nthieberger.net/LinguisticDataManagement.pdf]