[RNLD] Announcement: Linguistics in the pub in London (LIPIL) Tuesday 14th March 2017 – Documenting, analysing and valuing World English

Lauren Gawne lauren.gawne at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 05:43:17 EST 2017

*Announcement: **Linguistics in the Pub in London (LIPIL)* *Tuesday** 14th
March 2017 –  Documenting, analysing and valuing World English *

Linguists have long argued that 'non-standard' varieties of language are as
valuable as the standard forms that are found in the media, education and
other formal domains. For example, variationist sociolinguistics has long
championed research on African American Vernacular English. We will discuss
the ways English is used, and different varieties of English are valued in
different parts of the world. We will also discuss how English is used as a
contact language, and as an international language of the research
community. For this month's LIPIL we are joined by Prof. Stefanie Pillai
from the University of Malaya.

*Reading: *Pillai, S. (2008). Speaking English the Malaysian way–correct or
not? *English Today*, 24(04), 42-45. [PDF
<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/wxnKB8Fa4kvxun?domain=repository.um.edu.my>]