[RNLD] Researching languages in the family - Melbourne Linguistics in the Pub – Wednesday 5th April 2017

Ruth Singer ruth.singer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 20:40:17 EDT 2017

*Announcement: Melbourne Linguistics in the Pub – **Wednesday 5th April
2017*

*It's all in the family! Why researching languages in the family is
complicated and how it can be the most entertaining thing*

In conjunction with *Language practices and language policies in
multilingual contexts workshop
<http://www.dynamicsoflanguage.edu.au/news-and-media/events/article/?id=language-practices-and-language-policies-in-multilingual-contexts>,
*University
of Melbourne 6-7 April 2017

*Leading the discussion: *Judith Purkarthofer, *Multiling*: Center for
Multilingualism in Society across the Lifespan, University of Oslo

This discussion will start with experiences in researching family
languages, policies and practices in a Northern European context. National
languages, minority languages and languages of migration are considered a
public question, but they are also very much a private question for
families and family members.

Some of the issues that may come up in the discussion include:

   - What can we understand when we look at families?
   - Multilingualism across generations
   - How can research design and methodology cater for different age
   groups, language competences and interests?
   - How do we negotiate the public and the private and our own role as
   belonging to both domains?
   - How close is too close? Reading cultural and personal cues in
   interaction

Given that many researchers work in settings where family relations are
relevant (among other things), the discussion should be relevant to your
experiences and we are happy to learn your tricks in family-related
research!