[RNLD] counting dictionaries for Australian languages?

Maia Ponsonnet maia.ponsonnet at sydney.edu.au
Wed May 3 02:19:23 EDT 2017

Good afternoon,

As I am preparing a lecture on semantics/lexical semantics for the Australia's Indigenous Languages that I am teaching at the University of Sydney this year, I came to wonder if anyone had ever counted how many Australian languages have a "published dictionary"?

By "published" I mean a resource that is available to be purchased or consulted from libraries, accessible from a website etc.

By "dictionary" I mean an extensive collection of "words + definition" - not just "words + translations" -, and probably anything over 200 entries? (as a rule of thumb).

By "language" I imply "not dialects".

Is there a list somewhere of "Australian languages that have a dictionary"?

What about other regions in the world?

Many thanks for your answers, cheers,

Maïa

MAÏA PONSONNET | ARC DECRA Post-doctoral Fellow
Linguistics | School of Literature, Art and Media | Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
N367, John Woolley Building A20 | The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
T +61 2 9351 5570  | M +61 468 571 030
E maia.ponsonnet at sydney.edu.au<mailto:firstname.surname at sydney.edu.au>  | W https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/m4klBrSDrqJltY?domain=sydney.edu.au<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/krZOBlimNA0eCL?domain=webmail.sydney.edu.au>