[RNLD] Looking for Indigenous storytellers in Darwin

Steven Bird stevenbird1 at gmail.com
Sat May 6 21:30:24 EDT 2017

There will be another Treasure Language Storytelling show in Darwin in
early July, as part of the Darwin Fringe Festival [1]. It will coincide
with NAIDOC Week [2], which this year has the theme "Our Languages Matter".

This show follows six previous shows which brought Indigenous and immigrant
storytellers to the stage to share stories first in the original language
and then in English. The shows in California included Ohlone and Hawaiian
storytellers. The shows in Melbourne and Darwin included Woiwurrung,
Djambarrpuyngu, and Kunwinjku. Podcasts and videos are available from
treasurelanguage.org.

In our show on Saturday 8 July I am keen to feature as many Australian
Aboriginal languages as possible, especially those from the Top End,
including Tiwi, Kriyol, and Aboriginal English. A small amount of funding
is available to cover local costs. There's some more information about the
format [3] and the process of preparing storytellers [4].

If you work with speakers of a language in the Top End, would you please
consider whether any of them would enjoy speaking in language to a highly
receptive theatre audience? If you can think of anyone suitable, please get
in touch with me, thanks.

-Steven Bird

[1] https://darwinfringe.org.au/
[2] http://www.naidoc.org.au/2017-national-naidoc-theme