[RNLD] O'Grady 1971

Colleen Hattersley colhatts at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 09:29:08 EDT 2017

Dear Bill,
Can't help with your request, but wondering if you are including in your
piece reference to the extensive work of the MSC missionaries based on Yule
Island, PNG from 1884/5 onwards. Early work was written in French. The
Maeaka Tohana language project is currently reviewing the 1939 Dictionnaire
Roro-Francaise by P.P. Coluccia, MSC and editing it into Lexique Pro format
(Roro/English) for modern speakers. We have made a fresh translation of the
Roro grammar by E.Joindreau, MSC (1907) - because we had difficulty
locating the one by Bluhme - and are checking the examples and concepts
with first language speakers. Concurrently a translation of the 1898 Roro
grammar by "le pèreVictor" is in progress.

All of these documents are available on microfische at NLA. The project has
permission from the Catholic Mission at Bereina, Central Province, to use
these and other materials in their archive.

For more about the village-based language project see: www.maeakatohana.org.

Oops! Just picked up an error on the website - the earliest document is the
one by "le pèreVictor", 1898 as stated above.

I would be interested to know if you have found any other early references
for this language - and any personal details about  "le pèreVictor", E.
Joindreau or P. Coluccia.

Best regards
Colleen Hattersley

--