[RNLD] REMINDER: upcoming RUIL public lecture: November 9th 5:30pm

Research Unit for Indigenous Language RUIL-contact at unimelb.edu.au
Fri Oct 27 01:36:56 EDT 2017

Dear all,

A reminder that our free public lecture will be held in just under two weeks time, on Thursday November 9th, 5:30-6:30pm. We invite you to join our presenters Ms Karina Lester and Dr Sam Osborne as they introduce the concept of Red Dirt Thinking in their lecture 'Our languages matter - Kulinin? Reimagining remote education through Red Dirt Thinking'.

This lecture is free, but registrations are essential: please visit http://alumni.online.unimelb.edu.au/osbornelester
Please distribute the flyer amongst anyone you think may be interested.

When: Thursday 9th November 5:30-6:30pm
Where: Old Arts Public Lecture Theatre
Abstract below.

Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Best regards,
Brighde

Abstract:

Our languages matter - Kulinin?
Reimagining remote education through Red Dirt Thinking

The 2017 NAIDOC week theme 'Our Languages Matter' provides opportunity for reflection on the place of Aboriginal languages in Australian society and in education. The concept of Red Dirt Thinking provides an innovative framework to developing education approaches that are culturally and contextually responsive to local community needs within a global education context.
Sam Osborne and Karina Lester work with Anangu (Pitjantjatjara/Yankunytjatjara) communities in the tristate region of Central Australia. Current remote education policies are focused on resourcing school attendance strategies, English language instruction and metropolitan boarding school programs. These policies are disconnected from the cultural values of the community, ignoring the strength and importance of local languages, kin structures and cultural codes.
This lecture argues for building the capacity for "Red Dirt" approaches to teaching, in both remote locations and metropolitan boarding programs where children attend from 'other' cultural, geographic and linguistic contexts. This requires effective teacher preparation and ongoing professional engagement opportunities, to enable educators to appropriately support young people in taking up Red Dirt Aspirations rather than conforming to externally imagined narratives of who young people must become.  Finally, we propose a Pitjantjatjara language frame of ethical listening (kulini) as a tool for use in dual language and educational contexts.

_____________
Brighde Collins  |  Project Officer
Research Unit for Indigenous Language  |  School of Languages and Linguistics
Please note I do not work on Wednesdays
Rm 311, Babel (building 139)
The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010 Australia
T: +61 3 8344 3311   E: RUIL-contact at unimelb.edu.au
Follow RUIL on twitter @indiglang  |  http://arts.unimelb.edu.au/indiglang

The Research Unit for Indigenous Language acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the land on which The University of Melbourne sits, and we pay our respects to their Elders past, present, and future.
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D34F41.CC9FA740]

This email and any attachments may contain personal information or  information that is otherwise confidential or the subject of copyright. Any use, disclosure or copying of any part of it is prohibited. The University does not warrant that this email or any attachments are free from viruses or defects. Please check any attachments for viruses and defects before opening them. If this email is received in error please delete it and notify us by return email.