[RNLD] Announcement: Melbourne Linguistics in the Pub "Creating books in language" WEDNESDAY 4th October 2017

Stefan Schnell stefan.schnell at unimelb.edu.au
Thu Sep 28 23:26:35 EDT 2017

Melbourne Linguistics in the Pub – Wednesday 4th October 2017

Creating books in language
Discussion led by: Emily Gref and Lauren Gawne

A common way for field linguists to create community-focused materials from language documentation projects is to produce books in language that the community can enjoy. Whether these amount to a community dictionary, a learner's grammar, or illustrated books of local stories depends on what the community wants and what the linguist is capable of in terms of funding and other resources. Using examples past and present of books produced in language, we will discuss some of the challenges of creating books in minority languages, from orthography development to funding to design. We will also look at how publications in language have changed over the past few decades, from books meant to encourage "transitional literacy" to Indigenous-owned publishing houses like Magabala Books (Australia) and Inhabit Media (Canada).

Some other questions we will discuss include: The role and valuation of community-oriented projects in language documentation, and the pros and cons of publishing on paper versus digital.

Please bring along any examples of publications in languages you have been working with.