[RNLD] Melbourne Linguistics in the Pub - Tue 7 Aug

Andrew Tanner trainer2 at rnld.org
Thu Jul 5 21:53:50 EDT 2018

Melbourne Linguistics in the Pub is taking a short winter break, so there's
no session in July. We do, however, have another really great session lined
up for August, with visiting PhD candidate Jorunn Sorensen Thingnes from
Norway guiding us through some interesting linguistic choices being made in
an Arctic university.

See below for the full description, and here
<http://www.rnld.org/MLIP_August7_2018> for the online event.
Note that the winter venue is the Longplay Bar in North Fitzroy.

*Language policies in the High North: Making Indigenous language choices in
globalised academia*

*Discussion led by*: Jorunn Simonsen Thingnes, The Center for
Multilingualism in Society across the Lifespan (MultiLing), University of
Oslo

This month’s LIP addresses language policy and practices at a university
college in Norway where the Indigenous language Sámi is the main language.
Sámi University of Applied Sciences is the only university college where
Sámi is the language of instruction and administration. This, together with
the fact that Sámi serves as a lingua franca at the institution, makes the
Sámi University an exception in globalised academia. We will look at what
the global, national and local influences on the institution's language
policy and practice are, and what costs this institution is facing
when making a non-majority language choice.

Jorunn Simonsen Thingnes is a PhD student at The Center for Multilingualism
in Society across the Lifespan (MultiLing), University of Oslo. In addition
to share her research, she is interested in getting to know more about the
situation for Indigenous languages in higher education in Australia.
Suggested questions for discussion:

   - Sámi University of Applied Sciences wants to be a role model for
   Indigenous communities and institutions around the globe. What does it take
   to succeed as an Indigenous institution, and what do we really mean by the
   term “Indigenous institution”?
   - One scholar at Sámi University of Applied Sciences claims that it is
   not enough to be part of an Indigenous academic community. To be a proper
   scholar, it is also essential to be part of an international
   (non-Indigenous) academic community in the field you belong to. What does
   this statement mean? Are there two parallel academic communities: one
   Indigenous and one non-Indigenous?
   - If universities are coming more and more to resemble traditional
   economic marketplaces, what are the conditions for minority languages in
   academia today?