[RNLD] applied linguistics and documentation/description projects

Jorge Emilio Rosés Labrada jrosesla at uwo.ca
Sun Jul 8 15:35:23 EDT 2018

Dear Mark,

Tracy Hirata-Edds at Kansas University (Tracy wears many hats, applied
linguist among them) and a number of other folks working on Cherokee have
been collaborating for a number of years now and I think these
collaborations have led to some interesting results that show the
advantages of combining applied linguistics and descriptive linguistics.
She's published a number of papers but the one that comes to mind most
readily is her LD&C one on tone: http://hdl.handle.net/10125/26076

Two other linguists whose work I think is relevant to your query are Haley
De Korne (
https://www.hf.uio.no/multiling/english/people/postdoc-fellows/haleyjd/)
and Kate Riestenberg (https://www.kateriestenberg.com/), both working in
Mexico.

Best,
Jorge

PS: Tracy, Haley and Kate might be on this list (Tracy/Haley/Kate, I am
sorry if I answered before you had a chance to) so perhaps you'll be able
to hear more about their work from themselves.

-------------
Jorge Emilio Rosés Labrada
Assistant Professor, Indigenous Language Sustainability
Department of Linguistics
University of Alberta
Tel: (+1) 780-492-5698
jrosesla at ualberta.ca

*The University of Alberta acknowledges that we are located on Treaty 6
territory, **and respects the history, languages, and cultures of the First
Nations, Métis, Inuit, **and all First Peoples of Canada, whose presence
continues to enrich our institution.*