[RNLD] applied linguistics and documentation/description projects

Hilary Smith hilary_smith at xtra.co.nz
Sun Jul 8 18:06:16 EDT 2018

Hello Mark

An Australian example which illustrates this sort of collaboration… For the last couple of years I have been working as an applied linguist with John Giacon, documentary/theoretical linguist, who teaches Gamilaraay language at the Australian National University and Sydney University (also various graduate and undergraduate students). Other than the university language courses much of this work is voluntary and can be slow, but a few of the outputs are just coming on stream and we have recently received some funding to work on preschool materials.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gamilaraayguwaala/

YouTube:  <http://tinyurl.com/SpeakGamilaraay> http://tinyurl.com/SpeakGamilaraay

Website (currently being revamped): http://www.yuwaalaraay.org

A publication:    Smith, H. A., Giacon, J., & McLean, B. (2017). A community development approach using free online tools for language revival in Australia. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1080/01434632.2017.1393429

Best wishes

Hilary

Dr Hilary Smith

Honorary Affiliate