[RNLD] Current best Video practices in LDD

#HIRAM RANDALL RING# HIRAM1 at e.ntu.edu.sg
Sun Jul 15 13:42:40 EDT 2018

Thanks to all who responded, here’s a summary of the responses so far and what I’ve been able to find:

1. E-Meld’s website is the most recent (2006) list of recommended video formats for recording digital video in the field, which includes a recommendation for recording/storage in AVI format (http://emeld.org/school/classroom/video/index.html). Related site DoBeS provides a link to the MPI archive (where DoBeS data is stored), which currently does not accept AVI format for new submissions (http://www.mpi.nl/corpus/html/lamus/apa.html). Individual archives/repositories have some general guidelines on formats but no recommendations on recording (i.e. Yale: https://web.library.yale.edu/digital-initiatives/digitization-standards-and-guidelines/audiovisual)

2. Several chapters in books about and for those doing linguistic fieldwork discuss video/audio recording, but from what I have read the chapters focus more on principles of recording and explaining the process rather than on recommending particular resolutions or formats (apart from audio, which is pretty standardised) - some publications are listed below. I haven’t been able to access the chapter in Meakins et al (2018), so I can’t comment on whether this is the case for that publication. The fact that principles are stressed is extremely positive in my opinion, since it gives the information more practical longevity.
  Bowern, Claire. 2015. Linguistic Fieldwork: A Practical Guide. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2 edn.
  Chelliah, Shobhana L. & Willem J. de Reuse. 2011. Handbook of Descriptive Linguistic Fieldwork. New York: Springer.
  Meakins, Felicity, Jennifer Green, & Myfany Turpin. 2018. Understanding Linguistic Fieldwork. Routledge.
  Thieberger, Nicholas (ed.). 2010. The Oxford Handbook of Linguistic Fieldwork. Oxford: Oxford University Press.

3. There is a Wikipedia page that Mark Post is inviting the community to edit regarding best practices for LDD, which was initially part of a PARADISEC meeting. This would allow information to be updated on an ongoing basis: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_documentation_tools_and_methods

I’ll see what more I can find on best practices (formats, resolutions) for video, and will update the Wikipedia page unless someone beats me to it.

Best,
Hiram